Manchester, Connecticut

Motor Vehicle Appeals and Adjustments

MOTOR VEHICLE TAX BILLS.  The Town of Manchester mailed motor vehicle property tax bills on September 26, 2017, using a mill rate of 32.00.  The motor vehicle tax bills were delayed this year due to issues with the State Budget, and uncertainty over the State-mandated mill rate (tax rate) cap, which prevented Manchester and many other towns from mailing motor vehicle tax bills at the usual time in June.  Manchester's motor vehicle tax bills this year had a final, on-time payment due date of November 1, 2017.  If you have not received your motor vehicle tax bill from Manchester, and you believe you should have received one, or if you have yet to pay your motor vehicle tax bill, please check Manchester's online tax bill system at this link:

Or please call the Town of Manchester Office of Assessment & Collection at 860-647-3018, or e-mail the Office of Assessment & Collection at

Motor vehicle tax bills mailed on September 26, 2017 were for the October 1, 2016 Grand List, meaning that vehicles registered as of October 1, 2016 are what was billed for payment in October 2017.  If your vehicle was registered after October 1, 2016, it would not have been included in the tax bills mailed on September 26th.

Now that the State-mandated mill rate (tax rate) cap has been revised from 32.00 mills to 39.00 mills, both the Town of Manchester and the Eighth Utilities District are in the process of determining if this will result in an additional motor vehicle tax bill to make up the gap between the 32.00 mills and the 39.00 mill rate cap.  This decision will be made by early December 2017. 


  • Motor vehicle assessments are determined annually at 70% of average retail value using N.A.D.A. Vehicle Pricing Guides, in accordance with Connecticut State Statute 12-71d.
  • Motor vehicles registered to Manchester as of October 1 of each year are taxed the following July. Vehicles registered between October 2 and July 31 are taxed on the "supplemental list" in January.
  • Registered motor vehicles that are over 20 model years old may be eligible for a reduced assessment based on certain criteria.  Please call 860-647-3011 if you feel your vehicle may qualify.


  • Motor vehicle assessments billed in July may be appealed at the September meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals.
  • Motor vehicle assessments billed on the "supplemental list" in January may be appealed at the March meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals. Application must be made by February 20.
  • Motor Vehicle assessment appeal forms may be downloaded from the Board of Assessment Appeals page or are available from the Assessor's Office at (860) 647-3016.
  • There will be a special meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals on Tuesday, September 28, 2017 for motor vehicle appeals on the 2016 Grand List.  For more information, please click the link above for the Board of Assessment Appeals page.


  • The Department of Motor Vehicles does not notify Connecticut Assessors when a motor vehicle is disposed of!
  • If your vehicle was sold, traded, donated, junked, totaled, stolen, or otherwise disposed of, or if you registered the vehicle out-of-state, you may be entitled to a prorated credit or refund of all or part of your tax bill!
  • If the registration plates were transferred to a replacement vehicle, the credit will automatically be applied to the Supplemental Tax Bill for the replacement vehicle the following January.
  • If the registration was NOT transferred, two forms of documentation are required in order to prorate the tax bill:
    • Cancelled plate receipt from Connecticut DMV
      one of the following:
    • Bill of sale signed by both parties
    • Junk dealer receipt
    • Donation receipt
    • Dated registration from another state
    • Statement from insurer with date of and reason for cancellation
    • Other documentation such as a police report, repossession statement or title transfer
  • Further details about Motor Vehicle Taxes are available in the REQUIRED PROOFS FOR ADJUSTMENTS OF MOTOR VEHICLE TAX BILLS brochure enclosed with all motor vehicle tax bills, available online on the Miscellaneous Forms and Documents page and from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.